Barista/Shop Assistant Role
Permanent Full or Part-time
Over the past three years, BeachBox Coffee & Gelato has built a reputation as one of the very best coffee shops in Northland. With numerous 5 star reviews this reputation has been built on customer engagement, superior service delivery, and an absolute commitment to quality.
Key to the ongoing success of the business is the BeachBox team. Our team is made up of extraordinary people that live and breathe the BeachBox ethos of supporting each other to deliver the best possible experiences for our customers. All of the team have contributed ideas to support and grow the business, willingly covered for each other, done extra work, and gone the extra mile to ensure that the coffee shop can be the best that it can be. In return the BeachBox team are rewarded with a positive working environment, supportive management and above industry pay rates. Our team work hard but fun and laughter are never far away!
A key member of the BeachBox team will soon be going on maternity leave and we are intending to hire a new team member to cover her maternity leave and stay on after her return. The role is permanent and subject to the successful applicant, this could be full or part-time.
Key Attributes sought:
- Superior verbal communication skills - you need to be able to converse with and get to know our customers by name. They will range from locals you see most days to visitors from NZ and around the world. They love nothing more than to be recognised, greeted by name and have their order remembered.
- Social Intelligence - this is closely related to communication skills and is the ability to relate to a broad spectrum of customers ranging from locals, celebrities, tourists... basically people from all walks of life. You need to be able to make them feel welcome and special when coming to the BeachBox.
- Absolute reliability - we all count on and support each other through thick and thin. On time is 5 minutes early and you are committed to working with and supporting the BeachBox team.
- Trustworthy - honesty and integrity are key hallmarks of our team.
- Work Ethic - we work hard, sometimes for long periods, especially over the holiday seasons. You need to be up for this and available over the Christmas/New Year, school holidays, and holiday weekends. Having said that, we operate a give and take policy where our team are rarely, if ever, refused time off with enough notice.
- Switched On - you can learn new skills, understand instructions, and quickly learn new skills via a combination of training and observing other team members at work.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Hospitality, cooking/chef, and/or barista/coffee shop experience and qualifications are a plus but regardless, full training will be given.
Why work for us?
- Be part of a success story - You can be part of the team committed to being a "must visit" service attraction in the region.
- Supportive management and positive working environment - we are committed to ensuring that our team have the support, tools and mandate to get the job done and service our customers.
- Training and mentoring - you will be fully trained and supported to achieve the standards required to succeed in this role. You will also have the opportunity to work alongside the business founders/owners and learn from them.
- Growth - BeachBox is expanding and additional roles will be coming in the near future including management roles.
- Flexibility - for the right applicant there is some flexibility over working days/hours including those with parental commitments.
For those considering applying, read the above criteria carefully. Be honest with yourself and with us. If you cannot meet the "key criteria" you will not be considered... but if you can, we would love to talk with you more about the opportunity to join our team.
Apply in person at the BeachBox with your CV or apply to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Verbal references will be required from short-listed candidates.